Join Coney to discover how the tools of game design can be applied to the real world. We’ll see if we can recognise how everyday systems around us play as games, then how we might hack and rewire them to play better. It’s not about gamification but perhaps its very opposite.
The workshop, facilitated by Paul Callaghan and Tassos Stevens, is an exploration of practice, with the aim of creating a toolbox and guidance that can be documented and shared later. It’s open to anyone but places are limited; please send an expression of interest to email@example.com.
Big Splash Workshop
In the first Big Splash event for 2011, join ABC Open’s Ann Chesterman, Freeplay Independent Games Festival Co-Director Paul Callaghan and creator of mystoryworld.com.au Matt Blackwood as they talk about innovative ways to share your story, from using new media to writing for video games.
Business of Being a Writer
Finding work, filing tax, managing deadlines, sending invoices… welcome to the life of a writer. We know how confusing it can be trying to navigate the business side of creativity so we’ve designed this special masterclass to give you the tools and confidence to work as a writer.
With five sessions, two inspiring keynote addresses, handouts, and plenty of time for questions, we’ll help you navigate the business of being a writer. Sessions will cover:
- Business & legals – from getting an ABN to sorting out tax and insurance
- Getting the money in – setting rates, how to invoice and managing tax flow
- Process & organisation – juggling projects, time management and good work practices
- Relationships – maintaining good relationships, finding work and support networks
- Marketing & self-promotion – how to get your name out there and keep it out there